Thursday, September 30, 2010

Course Participants

Ernestine Hayes
Born in Juneau, she is a member of the Wolf House of the Kaagwaantaan clan of the Lingit. She is assistant professor of English at the University of Alaska Southeast, where she teaches composition, creative writing, and Native American literature. She is the grandmother of four children. ehhayes@uas.alaska.edu

Dave Sather
I am currently employed in Sleetmute with the Kuspuk School District. Previously I taught in Holden Village in Washington state and in Kokhanok, AK. I went to college at Pacific University in Oregon. I recently got married and have a 6 month daughter. I am also in the midst of finishing my Master's in Educational Leadership and I hope to remain in Alaska. dsather@kuspuk.org

Matt Hunter
I’m a life-long Sitka, Alaska resident in my 5th year teaching math and physics at Mt. Edgecumbe High School. I graduated St. Olaf College in 2005 and UAS in 2006. I volunteer with Sitka Mountain Rescue and Sitka Fire Department. I enjoy hiking, bicycling, kayaking, flying, and researching local history. matth@mehs.us

Esther Gust
I teach 2nd grade in Barrow. This is my 2nd year of teaching. I am originally from New Stuyahok located in Southwest Alaska on the beautiful Nushagak River. I am half Yupik Eskimo and half Athabaskin Indian. My family we live off the land. Every summer we pack up our things and go to fish camp where we put up fish and gather plants for the long cold winters. esther.gust@nsbsd.org

Konrad Mittelstadt
For the past 15 years or so I have been teaching science at Hanshew Middle School in Los Anchorage. I also work as a Fisheries Biologist on the Nushagak river out in beautiful Bristol Bay. My family and I live in Indian Creek Valley a short drive south of Los Anchorage. konnie@alaska.net

Eric Ellefson
I am teaching in Tununak - a small Yup'ik village on the Bering Coast. I am currently in my second year teaching out here and teach 7-12 grade math, social studies, and writing. eric_ellefson@lksd.org

Alicia Weaver
I teach in Quinhagak, Alaska. I currently teach reading to grades 1-5 and third grade math. I am originally from Canton, Ohio and this is my first time in Alaska. I am a first year teacher and just did some subbing before this year. alicia_weaver@lksd.org

Dan Adair
I live in Nikiski and was born in Colorado. I love nature and helping others. I teach high school; Physics, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geology and Physical Science. Also, I am the head track coach. I have a wife and two dogs. A black and yellow lab. dadair@kpbsd.k12.ak.us

Martha Gould-Lehe
Upper Kuskokwim Athabaskin of the Caribou People Clan, I was born in Medfra, Alaska and grew up mostly around McGrath. My father was a gold miner and I have trapped and hunted. I have lived in the Aleutians, Bristol Bay, the Interior and for the last 28 years, Anchorage. I have taught 22 years, all in ASD. I including 8 years at math-science summer camp for rural Alaska Native students grades 7-9. I have taught in the Indian Ed. Program in Anchorage for several years as well. Gould-Lehe_Martha@asdk12.org

Janet Reed
This is my 15th year teaching and my 12th doing so in Alaska. I taught K-3 students in the Denali Borough School district for many years. Now I teach for the Chugach School District: first in Tatitlek and now in Valdez for their Extension School. jbirdreed@gmail.com

Cheryl Williams
I have taught in the Mat-Su Valley for 13 years. I am currently at Palmer High School. I have taught a variety of classes - earth science, biology, ecology, physical science etc. Currently I am teaching chemistry, biology and integrated science 1. cherylann@gci.net

Sabrina Sutton
I have been teaching on Kodiak for 12 years...born and raised on the island. I am teaching 5th grade this year; began in a K-3 village; 2 years in 6th grade; 8 years in kindergarten; 1 year in 2nd and now in 5th. I am active in the education community, especially in the realm of placed based learning. I am a Kodiak Native-with roots to the island from both parents. Sabrina.Sutton@kodiakschools.org

Amy Peeke
This is my second year teaching middle school and high school science Gambell, AK. I love teaching in the village, and I am very excited to be out here for a second year. I was born and raised in Massachusetts, and I have lived in Alaska for the past six years. I love the outdoors and enjoy hiking, camping, and rock climbing in my free time. APeeke@gam.bssd.org

Alison Larson
I live in Kenai, Alaska. I am a life-long Alaskan enjoying what this state has to offer. I teach at an alternative high school and am working on 6 years here—I love this school! I am currently teaching math & science, though other subjects can include health, art, creative writing, and computer science. alarson@kpbsd.k12.ak.us

Cheryl Emerson
I joyfully teach 6th & 7th grade special services at Kenai Middle School on the beautiful Kenai Peninsula. This is year twenty of teaching and each day is still new and fresh. livefully3@aol.com

Kristina Owens
I teach math and science to 5th and 6th graders at Fireweed Academy (a KPBSD charter school) in Homer, Alaska. I also teach a multi-grade (3rd – 6th) theme studies class. Fireweed Academy is based on the theme immersion model, with our current theme being systems. We change themes each quarter. This is my 11th year at Fireweed Academy and my 12th year as a teacher. KOwens@kpbsd.k12.ak.us

Kathy East
I live in Kenai, Alaska with my two black labs. I am the curriculum director at the Challenger Learning Center of Alaska. I have taught pre-K through college subjects including algebra, astronomy, physics, earth science, and integrated science. I currently develop and deliver STEM curriculum along with running simulated space missions workshops at the Challenger center. mukluckathy@yahoo.com

Tommy Gossard
I am from Cooper Landing School on the Kenai Peninsula. We are located at the mouth of the Kenai River in the mountains, 100 miles south of Anchorage. I am the only teacher in our small school which encompasses kindergarten – 12th grade. TGossard@kpbsd.k12.ak.us

Tyler Orbison
I live in Sitka, Alaska, and teach third grade for the Sitka School District. I teach all subjects but the ones that I am most interested in are Science and Social Studies. Since I've lived my whole life in Alaska, I love teaching anything related to this state. orbisont@mail.ssd.k12.ak.us

Doug Armstrong
I have taught English in Japan for two years and spent six years teaching science and math in two different Alaska bush villages. Five of those years were in Tuluksak, up the Kuskokwim River from Bethel and one year in Atqasuk, 50 miles south of Barrow. I started teaching science at Kenai Central High School in 2009. dbrazofuerte@yahoo.com

Marilyn Burgess
I have been the science department at Wrangell High School since 2007. I have taught in Alaska since 1989 - first in Gustavus for 14 years, then in Klawock, then Floyd Dryden Middle School in Juneau and now here. We still call Gustavus home. mburgess@wrangellschools.org

Kevin Hamrick
I have lived in Juneau about 18 years and have been with the JSD for 16, the other two I taught in the village of Chevak. I have coached the bears football, wrestling and track teams and currently coach my son's cub football team. I have taught Business, Science, Math, PE, Health, Computers. I currently am enjoying my first year teaching middle school math and science in Juneau and like the change from high school. ham028@ymail.com

Carolyn Rudzinski
I currently teach 7th grade science and wildlife biology at Romig Middle School in Anchorage. I've lived in Anchorage for five years. Before coming to Alaska, I lived in California, New York and Wisconsin. When I'm not working, I love getting outside to go hiking and skiing with my family. rudzinski_carolyn@asdk12.org

Lila Lee Little
Lila grew up between Homer, Alaska (summers) and Hilo, Hawaii (winters). She studied philosophy and English at Whitman College and earned her Master's in Education and Special Education from Manhattanville College. She taught two years in Greenwich, Connecticut before returning to her childhood home of Anchor Point, where she has been teaching middle school language arts and science for three years. This year, she also teaches 2nd and 3rd grade science and social studies. lilaleelittle@gmail.com

Tim Bauer
Hometown: Anacortes, WA, College: University of Maine-Orono, Major: Secondary Education/English, Teaching Experience: American Literature--Salpointe Catholic High School, Tucson, Eighth Grade English-- Champlain, New York, Eighth Grade English-- Tucson (Public School), Generalist Teacher (4th-12th Grade)-- Adak, Alaska, Hobbies: Basketball, photography, a little hunting and fishing. yeats2332@yahoo.com

Sandi Pahlke
I am an 8th grade teacher at Floyd Dryden Middle School in Juneau. I have taught in the Juneau School District for 18 years and love middle schoolers! This year I am teaching Earth Science and U.S. History. I am enjoying the challenge of trying to find connections between the two disciplines and am always looking for new ideas to make learning relevant and exciting for my students. pahlkemom1@me.com

James White
I’m a born and raised Alaskan. I currently teach at Dzantik'i Heeni Middle School, the same school I attended to as a adolescent in Juneau, where I teach 7th and 8th Grade Mathematics and General Science. I first taught on Saipan in the Northern Marianas. I earned my Masters Degree from the UAS in 2007. I spent two years teaching at a Junior High School in Auckland, New Zealand where I taught Mathematics, Business, Science, P. E., and Photography. james.e.b.white@gmail.com

Bobbi Anne Barnowsky-Crouch
I was born and raised in Las Vegas, Nevada. At 18, I ran off to college in Northern CA and never went back to Vegas. Now 20 years later, I have made Alaska my home. I am a life long learner working on my second master’s degree in education in mathematics. Currently, I teach 9 different classes in math and science at Old Harbor School. msbarnowsky@yahoo.com

Dave Wages
I live in Kodiak were I teach 6th grade science and math. I have been here 7 years, preceded by 2 years in Saint Mary’s, Alaska, before that 1 year in Bethel and prior to that, Southern California. My wife and 2 young kids love Kodiak and we have no plans to move. david@wages.com

Kristen Kuehl
I am a new teacher in Alaska, but not new to Alaska! I grew up in Ketchikan, Alaska, the daughter of two teachers. Last year I taught in Homer and this year, my second, I am teaching chemistry and forensic science at East High in Anchorage. When I am not teaching or learning how to teach, I enjoy fishing, kayaking, and playing soccer. Kuehl_kristen01@asdk12.org

Winsor Demore
Born in Montana, raised in Colorado, I am now living and working in Anchorage as a middle-school science teacher. I have 3 kids of my own, all furry and four-legged, and most of my free time revolves around them one way or another! demore_winsor@asdk12.org

Dominic (Nick) Pader
Born and raised in Seattle, I had never lived more than 10 miles form the spot I was born until I moved to Stebbins AK. After teaching for 6 years in Lynnwood WA, my wife and I moved to AK in 04. I teach high school science. We have taught in Stebbins, Dillingham and currently, Barrow AK. We spend our summers at our house in Ketchikan. We have a daughter Lilly, 2 1/2, and our second daughter, Katie due in January. I enjoy family time, especially in the outdoors. nick.pader@nsbsd.org

Jesse Bjorkman
I live and teach in Nikiski. I teach 7th grade World History and Geography and 8th grade U.S. History. Land use is a common through-line my classes. For thousands of years people have been making decisions on how to use land and those decisions in Alaska are still unfolding! JBjorkman@kpbsd.k12.ak.us

Tracy R. Pulido
I am a farmer in North Pole and I raise over 200 kinds of hardy perennials which I sell at the farmer's market. In the winter, I am forced to teach home economics at North Pole Middle School, in order to afford my farming habit. I have been teaching Home Ec for 2 years and before that I was a high school English teacher for 6 years in Fairbanks. I used to trap in the Wrangels about 30 miles from Nebesna and also between Ruby and Galena. I was born in Wisconsin and came up here in 1980 because it was the farthest I could drive from Wisconsin.
tracy.pulido@k12northstar.org